DIY Servant

I mean, serving tray. Tray. This post is about a tray. It all started with this tray I found for $8 at Ikea.

image

Then I was browsing Etsy and found this dreams-really-do-come-true fabric. $10 a yard. I was in love. Sometimes things just come together better than you can even imagine.  It would make a beautiful tray bottom.  I wasn’t digging the bottom at all.

image
image

I began disassembling the tray. Thanks Ikea for making it easy!

image

I’m not really one for measuring so I just laid the fabric down and cut around the now free bottom.

image

I gave the fabric a good ironing to get out all the folds.  I knew I would not be able to tolerate them showing up once I’d completed the project.

image

I then covered the entire white bottom the tray with Mod Podge and placed the fabric down over that.

image
image

I plastered the entire piece of fabric with Mod Podge and – this is really important – smoothed the fabric out in all directions.  The Mod Podge should dry and help any ridges to shrink down a little, but I did my best to preemptively handle that issue.

image

Once it had dried completely, I trimmed the edges off.

image

After sliding the bottom piece back in a few of the edges escaped the groove they are meant to rest under. I took my exacto knife and just trimmed them off.

image

At this point you can stop, sit back and enjoy a really cute tray. I did not, and I wish I had. I tried using this stuff.

image

Using Acrylic Water is still something I want to do on a future tray, but maybe not one that is made up of many pieces. The acrylic water leaked out of the cracks something fierce. I suppose you could try to seal up the cracks with caulk or use wood glue when you reassemble, but that all seems like an awful lot of work for a tray that you are probably trying to make on a budget. I have considered Mod Podging all the cracks and edges and then using the acrylic water, but I’m a little afraid to pull the trigger on that.

Advertisements

Busy Bee

I wasn’t doing a ton of posting over Christmas and New Years but that doesn’t mean I was lounging around eating cookies and letting my house turn into a disaster. Ok well it was a disaster, but I still accomplished something. I got my sew on. I haven’t done any real sewing for about 4 years to I was a little rusty but as soon as I saw this sweet fabric on Etsy from SewFreshFabrics, I knew I had to do something with it.

il_570xN.403410711_mshc

I made these little throw pillow covers for the living room because I was starting to get the feeling that our house was losing it’s fun factor.  Solution: I made these to punch things up without blowing my budget.

image

Cost Breakdown:

Fabric – $10 + shipping
Stuffing – Free. One has another throw pillow inside and one is a pillow that we weren’t using in my room cut to size.
Piping – $14 after a 40% off coupon at Joann’s (from their Android app).

Total: About $25

For two fresh, custom throw pillows, that’s not too shabby.  I wish my craftsmanship was a little better, but overall I’m happy with the result. We needed an update!

image