The Office

image

I’ve been scribbling some thoughts for the office. Apparently I only ever want furniture from Ikea. They should sponsor this room. I’ll have to call it the offkea. Ikbrary. Maybe it’s the Swedish blood on me. Anyway. The guest room is in progress. Wallpaper removal is time consuming. I knew this going in. Some partners of mine thought differently.

The good news is that all my carpets have recently been cleaned thanks to a certain someone.

wpid-IMAG1339.jpg

Advertisements

DIY Servant

I mean, serving tray. Tray. This post is about a tray. It all started with this tray I found for $8 at Ikea.

image

Then I was browsing Etsy and found this dreams-really-do-come-true fabric. $10 a yard. I was in love. Sometimes things just come together better than you can even imagine.  It would make a beautiful tray bottom.  I wasn’t digging the bottom at all.

image
image

I began disassembling the tray. Thanks Ikea for making it easy!

image

I’m not really one for measuring so I just laid the fabric down and cut around the now free bottom.

image

I gave the fabric a good ironing to get out all the folds.  I knew I would not be able to tolerate them showing up once I’d completed the project.

image

I then covered the entire white bottom the tray with Mod Podge and placed the fabric down over that.

image
image

I plastered the entire piece of fabric with Mod Podge and – this is really important – smoothed the fabric out in all directions.  The Mod Podge should dry and help any ridges to shrink down a little, but I did my best to preemptively handle that issue.

image

Once it had dried completely, I trimmed the edges off.

image

After sliding the bottom piece back in a few of the edges escaped the groove they are meant to rest under. I took my exacto knife and just trimmed them off.

image

At this point you can stop, sit back and enjoy a really cute tray. I did not, and I wish I had. I tried using this stuff.

image

Using Acrylic Water is still something I want to do on a future tray, but maybe not one that is made up of many pieces. The acrylic water leaked out of the cracks something fierce. I suppose you could try to seal up the cracks with caulk or use wood glue when you reassemble, but that all seems like an awful lot of work for a tray that you are probably trying to make on a budget. I have considered Mod Podging all the cracks and edges and then using the acrylic water, but I’m a little afraid to pull the trigger on that.